The debt crisis -2

P. 189 no. 1

Comparison of the development indicators of Uganda and the UK

Image

P. 189 no. 6

Argument to convince a sceptic that debts are worth cancelling

Thinking of Ugandas common situation it is absolutely dishonorable to decline cancelling debts. The living conditions are terrible.  The infant mortality rate is extreme high, 106 per 1000 live births do not survive their first year in our world, assuming the poorest people. Besides this, other diseases such as HIV/AIDS, malaria and cholera afflict the population. One of the biggest trigger is the lack of safe access to water (only 60% of popul. ) and improved sanitation (43% of popul.). To begin with education, the people don’t have the money to afford the schools, because the secondary school is still not free unlike the primary school, which is free and universal. Attending university is kind of inaccessible, the four universities located in Uganda only have place for every 30 000 school student. The limits of education lead to early marriages at the age of 15, those girls become mothers soon after, whereat the fertility rates are high, they have 6,8 children per women.

But since cancelling the high debts of Uganda the living conditions increased at least a little bit. Money was then spent on public services, for education (+40%) and health care (70%). As mentioned before the free primary schooling has been introduced, girls finally had the chance to get educated. Earlier before the debt relief, 20% fewer girls than boys went to primary school. An important fact is that, five million extra children have begun to attend primary school. Nearly 10% of the population have finally gained access to clean water, which has two good reasons. On the one hand the liability of getting diseases decreases, due to cleaner water and the girls, which usually had to fetch the water have time to go to school now.

Even though there has been an improvement, supporting Uganda, by cancelling debts, should continue. The living conditions are still dissatisfying and improving their quality of life should be in everyone’s interest.

P. 189 no. 2

Image

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: